Monday 25 April 2011

Of birds and Spring

'Spring is sprung, the grass is ris.
I wonders where the birdies is.
They say the birds is on the wing.
Ain't that absurd?
I always thought the wing was on the bird.'
Anon (well, who would put their name to this!)


Yes, Spring has definitely sprung and the lawn has been cut AND I can tell you exactly where the birdies is - in the trees in my garden - and I wish they weren't. The garden is where I go to relax (sleep, in other words) and frankly, at the moment, sleep is not an option. The birds (and probably the bees, but they just buzz in a respectful and quite soothing way) are busy 'doing it' as per the song. To do so they make as much noise as possible, chirping/chattering/cooing away and positively thumping through the leaves of our surrounding trees. Fluttering is obviously not de rigueur at this time of the season. Why don't they understand that we felines have to take our rest in the shade of the said trees and that we have very sensitive ears?


Here I am, trying to look as menacing as possible. My Slave has a theory that I refuse to exercise my domination of the great outdoors by not chasing our feathered friends away. Little does she know that my apparent indifference is in fact a cover for the fact that I haven't a clue how to do so. I have abandoned tree climbing (can be undignified as I found a couple of years ago when I couldn't work out how to reverse down the willow tree and had to attempt a back-flip that failed miserably) and climbing along the fences to intimidate the little blighters is not my favourite occupation; a majestic animal such as myself does not engage lightly in the equivalent of tightrope walking. So I just have to wait for Spring to wind down.....

3 comments:

  1. Dear JJ, why is your blog so brown?
    An admirer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry JJ. I can teach you how to mountaineer. I have scaled many a roof in my time, and, though (or perhaps because) I now inhabit the sky, I have not forgotten my much-practised techniques. I shall work on techniques for communicating from me to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look very mean and moody in that picture JJ. I'm sure the birds will soon take the hint and leave you in peace.

    ReplyDelete